Sunday, September 13, 2020

My Favorite GLOG Classes

People have been posting about their favorite GLOG classes so I may as well jump on the bandwagon. Here's the other posts (let me know if I missed yours so I can link it too!):
 Ok, without further ado, here's my list (many duplicates from the other posts because those classes are just that good!):
  • The Sage: This deserves to top every list of classes, GLOG or otherwise, in my humble opinion. It lets you interact with the world so fully and completely, more so than any other class I've ever seen. I'm playing one right now in Deus ex Parabola's Face campaign and it is by far my favorite character of all time (although, to be fair, Deus' excellent color heresies system helps with that a good deal). This class effortlessly epitomizes the classic "wise man" character and feels magical without actually being able to do overt magic before D template. Once you do get to D template, you can bust out some serious power, but before then you are wise and knowledgeable and famous and mysterious - everything a true wizard should be. This is probably the only class I haven't written that I'd allow in a Carolingia game (even though I stole tons of it for my Wanderer), and it would fit the setting perfectly.
  • The Gun Priest: Another Squig class, because he's very very good at making them (there's several other excellent classes on his blog that didn't quite make the cut but that you should certainly read). This class is a superlative priest class, even though I don't usually like that archetype much - it can't summon up insane miracles, but it has a bunch of small thematic abilities that feel very priestly. And it can use guns. Who doesn't love guns? I wouldn't allow it in my games, because there's neither guns nor a religion which these priests would have anything to do with, but it's nonetheless very cool.
  • The Far Traveler: With how much travel most D&D-like games involve, it's both a surprise and a pity that there aren't more classes like this. It's just got a lot of good features - random abilities are one of my favorite things (you'll notice that the majority of the classes on this list have something of the sort; Sage and Gun Priest have them too), and that's basically all this class has. You've been to cool places and learned from them, you've done cool things and adopted those ways. You can also shape your environment actively by knowing people from all over the world (or in this case, the World Turtle). This is another class that I stole a great deal from for my Wanderer.
  • The Zouave: The Zouave is another class that's basically perfectly designed to appeal to me: random abilities, pretty much about traveling. It's the smallest thing, but I love the +1 inventory slot per template - it interacts with the game in a way I don't think I've seen a single other class do, and it captures the feeling of a war-worn well-traveled veteran perfectly. The Tall Tales are all excellent and flavorful abilities. You also get some abilities that can really reshape your social interactions to help you interact with the world on a deeper level with Respect and Old Friends.
  • The Monkey Dad: This class is absolutely, totally fucking bonkers. It also works perfectly. A "Monkey Dad" sounds insane, but the features of the class support it totally. You're first and foremost the Dad (not necessarily the father) of [level] party members, who you love and support when they're nearby. You're also a monkey, and you mean business. It's insane in all the best ways (including random abilities!), and it includes the best line ever written about a monkey doing dice manipulation: "Powerful wizards won't appreciate it if you meddle with them directly, but probably they can't do anything about it."
  • The various Paladins from Vayra's Mountain PHB: This is sorta four classes, sorta one, but I'll just discuss them all at once. I normally dislike paladins just as much as I do priests. Religion should be something everyone does, in a setting where it works. Why should there be special powers for these religious people but not the other ones? But this, this is how a paladin should be. An iconoclast, a heretic, and an outcast, driven by their sheer outspoken belief that they and they alone are right, that they alone are righteous. Then you add in the abilities: making up the Saint you venerate on this day and the facts of their life on the spot to get your miracles? Brilliant. And the 4 sub-types: Bard-paladins, monk-paladins (or maybe pankration-paladins), ranger-paladins, and wizard-paladins. You're not just a priest with a sword; you're skilled beyond just your faith.
  • The various Witches from Vayra's Mountain PHB: Once again, sorta four classes but I'll address them all as one. Unlike paladins, I pretty much always love witches, and these are really excellent. They're all full spellcasters, but this isn't the interesting part. They've got some really cool curses they can all lay at an HP cost, but this also isn't the most interesting part. The four sub-types are: Gun Witch, Bug Witch, Friend Witch, and Cancer Witch. The names alone are evocative, and the abilities are yet more so. A Gun Witch's familiars are guns with which they are supernaturally adept; a Bug Witch's familiars are a swarm of arthropods which can defend, attack, fly, and generally be extremely useful; a Friend Witch is much like a 3.5e Binder - their familiars are sentient beings they bind to their souls for various benefits; and a Cancer Witch's familiars are bizarre nefarious diseases inhabiting your body. All are excellent.
  • The Very Heavy Cube: This class is another that's totally bizarre in all the best ways. You have an extremely heavy tungsten cube, and a suit which allows you to telekinetically control the movement of this cube, including accelerating it very fast indeed. Then it really starts to get weird. The cube starts to take over. Your mind merges with the cube's, and trust me, it has one. It will hatch, and you will ascend with it, to be the only god that survives this cataclysm. This class is gloriously weird and I adore it.
  • The Weather Witch: Like the Sage and the Gun Priest, this class is perfect for being magical without being as overt and as direct as a traditional spellcaster. Your Workings, you minor magics, are inconsistent and draining, but they are magic in a world where there's none else. I don't have too much else to say about it, but the Workings are really nice and I love the implications of a world where this is the only magic, or at least the only regularly encountered magic.
  • The Original Acrobat: All of the classes in Goblin Guts are really good. There's a reason that creative and interesting classes have become one of the signatures of the GLOG - because it started with them. But I think the Acrobat really stands out. I played one in Squig's Seas of Sand game, which sadly had to end prematurely, and it was a fantastic experience (the 15 Str and 16 Dex didn't hurt, of course). The Acrobat, or even just the idea of playing an Acrobat, has so much potential for creative problem-solving and so much applicability to the normal problems of D&D, even to dungeon delving, and the Acrobat's abilities support that to the fullest. The very first GLOG class, by age-and-alphabetical-order, and certainly not the least.

There's certainly some classes that I love which I've forgotten but that should be on here. Maybe I'll think of them some time and add them. But the fact that I can think of brilliantly designed classes and come up with so, so many (there's a lot of classes which I thought about adding but didn't because I've already put down a bunch which I think just slightly edge them out) is probably the best thing about the GLOG and the GLOG community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment